Thursday, May 17, 2012

Developement of the bat head

I started by pinching a quick 3 pointed shape at angles that I like and rolled out snakes to hint at details.


At this point I was considering a demonic, pointing chin based on exaggerating a cleft in the vampire bats actual lower lip anatomy
the ear went through several variations once I decided to make it bionic.  Obviously the central microphone, but also the surrounding armor changed, abandoning the joint lines that came out from the center in a spider-web style for lines that fit the flow of the ear better, specifically a zig-zag line from the angry eyebrow up to the top of the ear. 
as for the central microphone, I eventually made it bubble out to have more depth. I also gave his eye tech, which was a pressed in hole, a more outward 'lens' by rolling up a little clay, pressing it on and fine tuning it.  Makes for a much better effect catching light and can be an easily painted part.  He still has the Darkness from 'Legend' chin, which Marty I think rightly steered me away from.


The bottom two pics are the final sculpt before molding. The eye lens should look great in clear plastic.

3 comments:

  1. I flippin' love this head sculpt dude, you need to sculpt up a pair of bat wings to go along with it, either as a back-pack mounted piece or as replacement upper-arms. If you did it as replacement arms, you could even add a peg on one end to allow for a Armorvor forearm/hand to be attached. Great job man, you have to make an Aligator next. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey dude, glad you like it! Those are some cool ideas. You can see a rough shape of a wing on the picture 3 up from the bottom, actually. I may get to completing some wings sometime, but first priority is getting some more heads done. I think you will like what I have coming up!

    By the way, I will be at the San Diego Comicon, hopefully I can see some of you there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, I see it now. True on the heads taking priority, some animals are defined by other aspects of their anatomy so I can't wait to see wings for this bat eventually get to the table. It was my favorite head-sculpt you've done but the helmeted Armovor is also becoming one of my favorites.

    And yes I freakin' love the gator head you made, it will easily make one of my favorite toys once I get one. Beautifully done dude. :-D

    ReplyDelete